First app is a no brainer for anyone who wants to use their iPad/iPhone for a musical instrument –
SampleTank is currently only $1.99! Normal price is $19.99!
SampleTank was just recently updated and now allows 8 multi-timbral slots into which you can insert sounds from a wide variety of included instruments.
• 8-part multitimbral professional-quality sound and groove module
• Expandable sound library with 600+ instruments in 16 categories
• Layers feature lets you easily create zones on your controller for multi-part performances
• Live and Song modes optimized for composition and live performance
• Streamlined interface for faster workflow
• Integrated 8-track MIDI recorder with song export
• MIDI learn feature makes programming external controllers a breeze
• Play interface with piano keyboard, scale keyboard and enhanced drum pads
• Universal app compatible with iPad and iPhone with iOS 8 and later
Secondly is an awesome app for anyone into looping who also uses MIDI keyboards –
Infinite Looper by Secret Base Design is currently only $9.99
From the stage to the studio, Infinite Looper will let you capture musical ideas, and can provide the framework for songwriting, all in a single integrated app. Loop MIDI phrases easily, control six different instruments, and quickly assemble loops into full songs. Visit the Secret Base Design web site for details and demonstration videos.
- Internal SoundFont Engine – Built into the app is an extensive SoundFont library with hundreds of instruments, and multiple drum kits.
- Inter-App Audio – Infinite Looper can host IAA-compatible synth apps
- MIDI In and Out – The app recognizes MIDI from other apps, over Bluetooth connections, and from hardware controllers.
- Loop sequencer – select different sets of loops for each section of a song, and the app will step through them automatically.
- MIDI Export – Infinite Looper will export a MIDI file for a song, which can be loaded into professional desktop DAWs.
- Keyboards and Pads – The app features a responsive piano-style keyboard — adjust note velocity by touching towards the tops of the keys. And because on-screen keyboards can be hard to play, there’s also ten pages of programmable pads.
- Quantization and MIDI Latency – To lock down timing, you can toggle on quantization, or leave it off, for a natural feeling. If you use external MIDI controllers, the app can time shift to account for the delay of Bluetooth connections or WiFi. And if you use an audio-to-MIDI converter app like MIDImorphosis, latency compensation can tighten up the timing.
- All the standards – Infinite Looper supports Ableton Link, making it easy to synchronize the app with other Link-enabled apps. There’s full support for Inter-App Audio and IAA MIDI, and Audiobus too.
- MIDI Learn – If you’re playing live, your hands might be busy with a keyboard or a guitar. With MIDI learn, you can control the app with a foot controller. Toggle on and off recording, switch tracks, and more.
- Import and Export – Easily share projects with friends using AirDrop, Dropbox, or by email.
- Take Notes – Infinite Looper projects include a text notepad