Keep checking back and I will continue to update Real quick ….. here are things I picked up on from watching the webcast. Handwriting comes to the desktop! Layout improvements – show layout handles allow… More
Well this is good news as we go into a new school year! But you better hurry because this is a quick sale – only until the 21st of August!
IK MultiMedia has put a couple of their very useful apps on sale – Music Educators should take advantage of this!
iGrand is 50% off and is currently $9.99 and all the IAP’s are also 50% off. the Ivory Keys IAP is very nice! Buy a cheap MIDI controller like the Novation Launchkeys, plug it into your iPhone and you have a super great sounding piano!
iLectric is 50% off and is currently $9.99
SampleTank is $9.99 which means it is also at 50% sale price! The app has been brought up to version 2 which has given a new breath of life to the app that will come in very useful for educators. The app is now 8 part multitimbral! Now you can have even more parts going!
This does come with it’s drawbacks though as this version2 will NOT support older iPads/iPhone – you have to have an iPad Air or higher and an iPhone 5s or higher. Get ready people because the older devices are NOT going to be supported by every app for very long!
• 8-part multitimbral professional-quality sound and groove module
• Expandable sound library with 600+ instruments in 16 categories
• Completely redesigned Sound Browser
• Layers feature lets you easily create zones on your controller for multi-part performances
• Live and Song modes optimized for composition and live performance
• Streamlined interface for faster workflow
• Integrated 8-track MIDI recorder with song export
• MIDI learn feature makes programming external controllers a breeze
• Play interface with piano keyboard, scale keyboard and enhanced drum pads
• Plug-and-play compatibility with iRig interfaces and controllers like iRig Pro Duo, iRig Pro, iRig MIDI, iRig Keys and iRig Pads
• Universal app compatible with iPad and iPhone with iOS 8 and later
if you haven’t pulled the trigger yet then click a link in my post and tap the buy button! It’s gonna be a long time before their next sale!
And don’t forget that the extra IAP sound banks are an amazing price too! These two in particular for Korg Module are outstandingly great!
I have talked about the issue of passwords, security questions and backing up your devices here on my blog before. I want to do it again!
The worst story I have is of the student who came to me with her iPod that had pictures on it of her Grandpa who had just passed away. Some other student had gotten a hold of her iPod and changed her password on her. Because she did not have everything set up correctly – in this case she should have turned on her Photo Stream – she ended up losing those pictures that were irreplaceable!
Our devices hold some of the most valuable parts of our lives on them! We need to use the tools Apple has given us and make sure we have things taken care of and backed up! We also MOST educate our students and our very own kids about the proper way to set up accounts, pick good security question and then WRITE down the passwords and answers someplace where we can access them! Kids and our parents are pretty non-experienced about this sort of thing – DO NOT BUY INTO THAT “Digital Native” line!
First things first – when someone gets a new device they need to be shown that iCloud is their friend! Set up an iCloud account with them! Pick good security questions and pick a good password that isn’t going to confuse the heck out of them later when they have to figure the darn thing out!
Second thing – write down all the passwords and security question answers you have just set up. Write them down someplace you can find. You could use Apples notepad or better yet use a password app like OneSafe or OnePassword.
Third thing – use the tools inside of iCloud to your advantage!
- Turn on Find Your iPhone.
- Turn on at least the My Photo Stream – different from iCloud Photo Library. My Photo Stream saves your last 1000 pictures into the cloud and it is accessible from your phone/iPod/Mac Computer
- Turn on most every thing actually – EXCEPT
- Backup – you may think that this is out of place but honestly I’ve never found the backups from Apple to work anyways. Plus…. everything of mine is in the cloud most of the time anyways! THE BIG REASON THOUGH – it’s going to suck up the free 5GB of storage available for free to you. If you really feel the need then turn on backup on from a computer.
Fourth thing – for goodness sakes show them how to find contacts and calendars and how to create reminders using SIRI! That stuff is just ultra cool!
Take care of those around you! If you know someone who is setting up a new device HELP THEM!
If you don’t write down those passwords and answers to the security question I can promise you that it is a pain in the behind to reset everything!
So do you ever spend money? Ever have to manage a school budget for your music department? Wait… what? You have NEVER set up a budget at ALL? Well today is the day you’ve been waiting for… (Maybe)
AppGratis (Sam) sends me emails everyday with a free app. He’s the master of making deals with developers. Today’s app is Money Lover by Quang Tran Hong. I’ve never used the app and have never seen the app before today but after taking a quick look at it I think it may be useful!
Here’s the main blurb from the web site for the app…
Plus, since the app is free today via Sam – you follow the instructions I received in his email and you get the premium version of the app! There is a sync that keeps your phone, laptop and even the web version of your money all in sync! Love it!
Here’s the email and the link! The link is obviously not my affiliate link but is instead Sams… Let me know if you use this app already or if there is another app you like better in the comments below!
Looking for some great apps that allow for an alternative playing interface? Dmitry Klochkov has a couple of great apps that are both free currently!
ChordUp is an app for both iPhone as well as iPad
Clawtar is an iPad only app
The best way to let you see what these apps are, what they look like and what they do is for you to watch this YouTube video… Go download the apps and enjoy!
I can not remember the last time I actually hooked a wire up from my iPad to my laptop to transfer files. It honestly is a pain in the ummm…. well you get it – I just wish APPLE and Tim Cook did! I do believe that Apple is working towards a wireless world and it IS better than the past but we are not there totally.
We do have several options to transfer files though! Now, if you read the title you see that I am talking about not relying on “the cloud”, internet, or wires! Sometimes those things are not available – especially in a public school setting or as a musician that uses his iPad to read all my sheet music from. The other issue that arrises is the fact that some of our iPads don’t have enough storage space and when we start doing really cool things like recording music on our iPad space becomes an issue! Or what about traveling with our kids who want to watch movies in the back seat? (or is that us parents that want them to watch the movies?)
I grabbed a SanDisk wireless thumb drive this weekend to try out – they are usually about $35 for a 32 gb version – Best Buy currently has the 64 gb version for about that same price too. I got lucky and got the 32 gb version for $12 because they had it labeled wrong – I should have grabbed all three of them! I’ve had a RavPower FileHub Plus for a while now that I’ve used for the same wireless ability to transfer files. The RavPower has the additional capability of being an external battery pack and a router as well. It’s bigger though.
Here’s how it works… wait, I made a movie to show you! Hope you enjoy it! More later….
Beat the heat people – stay inside and make music with some amazing new apps! These apps offer such an opportunity for our performing arts groups at school! Not to mention professional (or amateur) performers that use these apps on stage all the time!
I remember the days that I would dream and dream about being able to afford a new synth! Now we have so many outstanding music apps on our iPads that are very cheap compared to a hardware version!
Like for instance the KORG apps that are all on a HUGE sale – ALONG WITH THE IAP purchases being 33% to 50% off currently! Here is the list…
KORG Gadget – $19.99 (50% off!) – An all in one environment to create music!
Additional IAP’s that offer further instruments (or I guess we should call them “Gadgets”)
- Abu Dhabi gadget – $4.99 (50% off)
- Bilbao gadget – $4.99 (50% off)
- Gladstone gadget – $9.99 (33% off) Brand New gadget with genuine acoustic drum sounds that sound amazing!
- Kamata gadget – $9.99 (33% off)
- Madrid gadget – $9.99 (33% off) Brand new gadget offering real and dynamic Bass sounds.
Listen to the sounds in this demo of Korg Gadget and the Gladstone gadget
KORG Module – $19.99 (50% off!) – An amazing collection of outstanding piano/organ/keyboard sounds
Additional IAP’s for Module
- 80’s Electric Piano – $9.99 (50% off)
- Ivory Mobile Grand – $14.99 (50% off) – If only my Mom could hear THESE piano sounds!
- Mellow Tape Keyboard – FREE
- PREMIER Vintage Organ – $9.99 (50% off)
- TRITON Best Selection – $9.99 (50% off)
- Wurley Electric Piano – $4.99 (50% off)
KORG iM1 – $14.99 (50% off!) – An amazing collection of outstanding keyboard sounds from the well known Korg M1 keyboard of the 80’s/90’s
Additional IAP’s for Module
- M1 cards pack – $2.99 (40% off) – oh wow! I love these sounds! I had a Korg M1 to play with for about 3 months before it got stolen while I was in the Dominican Republic. So much for leaving it in capable hands! I used this card pack as well as the sounds in the basic app in every performance my electronic group did this last school year. Lovely, just lovely!
- T1 cards pack – $2.99 (40% off)
- PLUS Mode – $4.99 (50% off)
Then you have all of these KORG apps that are also on sale…
- Korg Cortosia (tuner for the iPhone) – $4.99
- Korg iElectribe for iPhone – $9.99
- Korg iElectribe for iPad – $9.99
- Korg iKaossilator – $9.99
- Korg iMS-20 – $14.99
- Korg iPolysix – $14.99
Then there is the amazing SilQ Equalizer for $3.99 (usually $7.99 and will go back up on the 24th of July) from TonApp AS for iPad – gives you a sophisticated, high quality 32 band stereo EQ that works on your live inputs as well as InterApp Audio and AudioBus.
The app I’m having the most fun with right now though is VirSyn’s VoxSyn $6.99 (still the introductory price as this is a brand new app) – This app turns your voice into some of the most fun and outstanding timbre’s ever! I don’t sing solo but with this I can sure have a ton of fun! VoxSyn also fits into my world of alternative interfaces for playing live.
Here is a YouTube Demo of VoxSyn so you can get a little taste of the grand fun you too can have!
Chord Pickout ($1.99) is an app released June 23 for iOS. It has been available on PC for a while now. Seems like this may hold some promise but I do have to say that I have not tried it personally. Anyone that has please let me know what your success rate has been in the comments.
VirSyn has some wonderful apps out for creating music on your iPad/iPhone. Currently they are running some nice sales on several of the apps.
VoxSyn is their brand new app that takes many of the great features in their other apps and rolls it into one new app along with some new features! VoxSyn turns your voice into the most flexible vocal sound generator ever! Watch the video at the bottom to start to get a sense of how you could incorporate this into your music and the music of your students! If only we had these tools growing up!
- Addictive Synth is $6.99 (normal $9.99) – this has long been a favorite of mine!
- Addictive microSynth $1.99 (normal $3.99)
- Tera Synth is $9.99
- Arpeggist is $4.99 (normal $7.99?)
- Poseidon Synth is $9.99 (normal $19.99)
- VoxSyn is on intro price still of $6.99
Effects Apps of VirSyn
- AudioReverb is $4.99 (normal $6.99)
- Emo Chorus is $2.99 (normal $4.99)
- Tap Delay is $4.99 (normal $6.99)
iceWorks has some very exciting apps out as well to create music with….
- Lorentz Synthesizer is $3.99 (normal $5.99)
- Laplace Resonator Synthesizer is $3.99 (normal $5.99)
- Mersenne Melodic Percussion Synthesizer is $3.99 (normal $5.99)
Remember – I’m not going to tell you about apps on this blog unless I am totally enjoying the use of them myself or at least believe in their powerful potential for use in the music classroom!
I’m not sure how long these sales will last as the app pages say “Limited Time” and it seems that a few of them had already been booted up in price from VirSyn. Good luck in grabbing these deals and enjoy your future music making!
Well this is a no-brainer! Call me old fashioned but I really, really, really, seriously dis-like this whole subscription based baloney that some companies have moved to – cough, cough Sibelius!
I used Sibelius for YEARS as soon as it became available basically and now I don’t use it. Long story but that is NOT why we are here is it!
I did make the jump to using Notion this past two years or so for several reasons. Price and the fact that Notion for iPad exists! Notion lacks some finesse that Sibelius and Finale have but it gets the job done. Plus I know exactly what I am paying and I don’t have this looming fear of “loosing” access once my yearly subscription is up.
The normal price for Notion is one reason I jumped on board but now it is 50% off. The price that I see for this month is $74.95. Head over to this link to read more and to purchase the desktop version of Notion.
(Wait… I thought Notion used to be $99? When did the normal price go up?)
(Whatever… $75 is still a great deal!)