I am not sure I have fully wrapped my head around what this app means – I know it is an important introduction to our tool boxes of musical creation on iPad. I know that if you sequence music using apps, hardware, software and all other sorts of things then you want this! I also know that if you simply like to hook up a keyboard to your iPad and play live this may not help you much. I also know that the icon for this app desperately needs help! COME ONE GUYS GET PROFESSIONAL all the way through! The rest of your app design looks amazing but this icon looks like you forgot to make one until the last 30 seconds before you submitted the app to Apple!
ModStep is a $20 app so expect great and amazing ideas to work well here! There isn’t even any introductory price here which I find interesting. But to be fair this sounds like the most powerful MIDI sequencer app for iPad – heck it sounds like it could even go toe to toe with desktop level sequencers too!
To quote the review on CreateDigitalMusic – “Modstep is a return to the days when a dedicated sequencer was the hub of your workflow.”
Here is from their website –
“Modstep is all about connectivity:
Seemlessly combine your favorite tools no matter in what shape or format they come: IAA Apps, your MIDI hardware, Mac- and PC Software, as well as the internal drum sampler and synth. Modstep speaks MIDI, Inter-App Audio, can send a trigger-signal and stream MIDI and audio between your computer and your iPad with studiomux.
Use it as the centerpiece of your setup to create and perform music on the go, in the studio and on stage.
- Full-blown MIDI sequencer with Step Sequencer and Piano Roll
- Unlimited MIDI tracks
- Extensive Step Sequencer with active steps
- Audio and MIDI streaming directly via the charger cable to Mac and PC using studiomux technology
- Up to 128 MIDI CCs per Track can be modulated
- Built-in drum sampler with filter, delay and reverb, fully modulatable
- Built-in synthesizer with filter, delay and reverb, fully modulatable
- Templates to control external MIDI hardware
- Template editor to create your own templates for IAA Apps, desktop Apps and external MIDI devices
- Supports all MIDI interfaces for the iPad
- Core functionality controllable via external MIDI controllers
- Use third party IAAs as instruments and effects within one app
- Integrated IAA mixer
- Trigger out
- iOS 8 or later
- for audio and MIDI streaming to a Mac or PC, the studiomux server software is required: get the latest for free at studiomux.net.
Although we officially don’t support the iPad 1, all MIDI functionality including MIDI-streaming via studiomux currently works on iOS 5.1.1.”
Some Eye-Candy –
The Intro Video –