Well, I wrote about the future having arrived a few days ago when I wrote about NotateMe. I wasn’t kidding either and apparently a LOT of other people were very intrigued as well! Thanks for reading that post about the transformation from NEEDING a computer to being able to work ONLY with a mobile device in music.
Now let’s talk about the future of LEARNING how to play a piece of music. For thousands of years people have relied on learning how to play music by listening to it – they repeated sections of the piece over and over, repeating what someone played for them. Simple call and response, over and over. When learning someone else’s music this tradition has not died even now.
Now though, it is going to be a whole lot easier! If you have EVER worked on figuring out a song by ear you know how many hours it takes us! (OK, well at least me a few thousand others who are not blessed with the ability to play anything we hear by hear!) This app is going to save you hours!
In fact currently both the desktop version and the mobile versions are on 50% sale! So the time to buy them is now!
Capo3 for the Mac – $14.99 (50% off normal price)
Capo Touch for iOS – $4.99 (505 of what the normal price will be soon!) [runs on both iPhone and iPad]
Let’s talk about what Capo is since most of us don’t know….
- Automatic Chord detection – it will TELL you the chords for any song in your iTunes library! Doc Brown would have hated us having this tool available back when we were taking Ear Training and Music Theory back in college!
- Slows Your Music – High quality time stretching engine that will slow that music down to a learnable pace!
- Looping Regions – Play it again Sam! Over and over, slower if you like, until you get it!
- Transposition – Now we can instantly change the key of the song!
- Chord Boxes – For those of you who are guitar players (or teach guitarists) Capo will show you how to play those chords it has automatically detected AND if you transpose the song it transposes those chord boxes too!
- Capo and Tuning Options – yup got those covered too for all you guitar players
- Metronome, Count-Off, and Effects – Not sure where that beat is? Well turn the metronome on silly!
- Beautiful Interface – Gives you a great experience browsing you music library to pick that next song to learn.
- iCloud Syncing – Work on you iPhone while out and about and then when you pull out your iPad later everything will be in sync. Of course, since Capo is also available on a normal computer it syncs there as well!
DESKTOP vs MOBILE APPS:
There is at least one difference between the desktop version of Capo and the mobile. On the desktop version you are able to actually draw in notes on top of the spectrograph, just like you would in a piano roll on a MIDI sequencer. Then, after drawing those notes out, you will actually get TABS so that you can learn the part on your guitar.
PRO MUSICIANS LIKE IT TOO!:
I am impressed at all of the pro musicians they have who are backing this app too! Go ahead, click that picture below and read everything they are saying about it! Pretty cool. These are not just some ol’ teacher like me – these are people getting paid good money for the music they make!
WHAT IS MISSING?
The app currently has tabs, chords, and chord diagrams for guitarists. Which is awesome but I would love to see the ability to have music notation instead of tabs! Even if I could export what I have done in Capo as an XML file to use in Sibelius or another notation app it would be awesome. I currently am using Capo2 and the export function does not work very well – OK, actually I could never get it to do anything – UNTIL I imported the MIDI file into Sibelius. Once it imported into Sibelius I was able to see the notes I had drawn in. Of course it was not performance ready but it would give us non-guitar players something to look at that would be better than tabs. Now, if it would just export the chords as well!
Maybe the export functions are better in Capo3? If someone has v3 and could let me know it would be awesome!
If you are ever in need of an app to help you figure out how to play a song that you do not already have music for this is it!
In fact, this answers one of my issues I have with my own music – I play and record then I forget what I played and recorded! This app helps me solve that issue! Usually, I am composing in a DAW, like Cubasis or Logic and using audio recordings. Before this app there was no way for me to turn that audio back into any sort of notation to help me remember what in the world I played! Now, problem solved!
If you are a teacher, a performer, or an amateur musician, you would be crazy not to grab at least one of these if not both of them!
Capo3 for the Mac – $14.99 (50% off normal price)
Capo Touch for iOS – $4.99 (505 of what the normal price will be soon!)
Remember – if you are inspired to purchase apps because of my blog, please click on my links and help give back to my efforts here. Each link is an affiliate link and gives me a small percentage of Apple’s profit on each app. The developer still gets their full profit.