Now I kind of liked SymphonyPro when it was out before… the app was respectable in size requirements (Which is why I deleted Notion off my 32 GB iPad) and worked all right (I never really used it a ton though because I had Sibelius and I really wanted live MIDI keyboard input with XML support)
This version 3 promises XML plus the MIDI live input recording! So I downloaded the update and got to playing. Here is what I found….
WARNING – I don’t usually post app reviews here that are negative but this is pretty bad. I had to warn people!
The short version is that the app actually DOES indeed record MIDI input from a keyboard hooked up via the Camera Connection Kit. I was pretty happy with the way the rhythms looked too! But the kicker is that the notes are ALL messed up! I play a C and it thinks it’s a B. Now I thought maybe it was the transpose button on the keyboard had gotten pushed so I kept playing a C on the keyboard and tapped the transpose button until the screen said I was playing a C. Then things got real bad…
I play a C Major arpeggio and it transcribes a C minor! I play a C minor arpeggio and Symphony Pro transcribes a C Major!
So then I’m thinking it was the keyboard as I don’t use it real often. So I fired up two other apps to see what happens in those apps. Everything worked exactly as I expected! In fact I had to un-transpose the keyboard to get it back to actually playing a C.
Then I get to thinking that maybe Im having apps interfere with each other so I force quite every app in the iPad dock and try SymphonyPro again. Same story.
If you would like to see this happen for your self go watch my YouTube video…. http://youtu.be/29RFrAeSHu8
I don’t have time to test the rest of the app – it was this MIDI live recording that I was so excited about working and that’s all I got to.